Travel for the Reality, not the Tourism

As I had mentioned in my previous blog, I travel as much as I possibly can. The two best places I have travelled are Beqa Island, Fiji, and Matamoros, Mexico.  Given, I have frequented Gatlinburg, Tennessee, for many years and have visited New York City and Los Angeles a few times. However, the most eye-opening and life changing trips were to Fiji and Mexico.

Before I went to Fiji, I was under the impression that I was just going to be lazy on the beach and to be apart of my aunt's wedding.  Once I got to Fiji, I quickly learned that I wanted to skip the tourism and get the reality of what it is really like living in this country. On our first few days, we relaxed and snorkeled. Later in our trip, we decided to take a trip into the local village. We hopped on a rickety old boat and headed around the island. When we arrived at the village, we were slapped with a ton of reality, a ton of poverty. The roofs and floors were made of woven palm leaves, there was no running water and no electricity. However, each and every person greeted us with a huge smile and a "Bula!" Bula means "hello" in Fijian.

Traditional dances in the Beqa village.
It was in this village that we witnessed and partook the traditions of the country.  We were asked to join a kava ceremony. Kava is a drink that tastes like muddy water but has many calming properties. It is made with ground up kava plant root and water. For the kava ceremony, everyone sits in a circle and passes a small bowl full of kava and takes a drink from it. At the end, you say "vinaka" (meaning thank you). In Fiji, kava is given when a woman is in labor and during special visits or celebrations.

Preschool in Beqa village.
After our kava ceremony, we visited a preschool. At the preschool, the children sang to us in seven different languages. They are all forced to learn English as most people who visit the country speak English. Before our trip, we packed several items to give to the children. We brought them school supplies, little toys, and other items. Seeing their eyes light up with joy was what made the trip life changing. To me, seeing the children get so excited over something as small as a pencil made me realize how truly blessed and privileged I am.

As for Mexico, I was able to take a unique trip there. I was not going for tourism in the least, but I was going to see how it is to live there. My fiancé's family has a home in Matamoros, Mexico. Matamoros is about 15 minutes from Brownsville, Texas. We went in 2016 for his sister's quinceanera. I was able to finally see their beautiful home, but I was also able to see where my fiancé grew up. It was an eye-opening experience.

He showed me where he went to school in Brownsville. He used to have to get up at 5 AM to go to school so he could go across the border. I was able to see the markets, houses, and lifestyles that everyone lived in his town. I was able to see the reality of living in Mexico and not the tourism sides such as Cancun and Cabo.

However, going to his sisters quinceanera was a unique experience. I was able to see how a traditional quinceanera is thrown in Mexico. She had a huge, gorgeous dress. There was a church ceremony before the party. Although everything was in Spanish and I only knew a few words at the time, it was an experience I will never forget.

DeLee's sister at her quinceanera. You can see just how extravagant these parties are.
Overall, I strongly encourage people to not travel for the tourism, but to travel for the reality and experience. To me and many others, traveling is the best way to grown, experience, and learn.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool that you get to have these experiences! It seems like you really learned a lot and had a great time while doing it! I hope you get to keep going on more trips!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Different Audiences in Business

Strategy is Everywhere

Going "Live" for the First Time