Why Insurance?

As I had mentioned, I am currently majoring in Risk Management and Insurance. When I tell people this, most people ask what it is and why would I ever want to pursue a career in insurance. Truth be told, I never considered insurance until I came to Ohio Northern. During my freshman year, there was a senior that came into one of my classes to talk about the major. She talked about all the different opportunities within the insurance industry. This inspired me to look into the industry and I eventually fell in love with it.

So, when people ask me "why would I ever want to pursue a career in insurance," I usually rattle off a list of reasons. Here are my top 3 reasons why I chose insurance:

Reason 1: It is a old, yet growing industry.
The insurance industry dates back to the 1700s. Throughout the years, it has evolved and grown into many different branches. The main branches that people know are life, health, auto, and property insurance. Because many states require insurance on all vehicles, many banks require property insurance when purchasing a home, and it is a federal regulation to have health insurance, the insurance industry is always growing.

Reason 2: It is a stable industry.
As mentioned in reason 1, the insurance industry is always growing. This contributes to the stability. However, most people who currently work in the industry are Baby Boomers and are retiring. The number of people who are entering the industry is far below the number leaving the industry. This causes there to be 100% job placement and security within the industry.

Reason 3: It is always changing.
Technology is always advancing meaning vehicles are always advancing. The auto insurance industry is changing at a very fast speed due to these advancements. There are also always changing laws and regulations at both State and Federal levels that are impacting health and life insurance. This means that nothing will always be the same and there needs to be a high sense of adaptability in the industry. This causes people pursuing a career in insurance to never "truly" do the same thing twice because everything is always different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different Audiences in Business

Strategy is Everywhere

Going "Live" for the First Time