Going "Live" for the First Time


As I have mentioned several times before, I am in charge of all social media for the business/businesses that I work for. Recently, my boss has brought up that she would like to sell items online to expand her store and increase sales. I have been working endlessly on designing a website and taking and editing photos for the items that are being sold to get her goal accomplished. It has been long hours of work but, I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Last weekend, she wanted to do a live video on Facebook to promote new arrivals and to allow people to order them through the video. Luckily, I had the help from her daughter for the video. However, I was a lot more nervous than I thought I would be for the video. I have never gone live on any social media platform on both my personal pages and the business pages. There was hours of preparation put into this live video (which only lasted 12 minutes).

The steps and thing we had to accomplish before going live seemed endless. Below are the steps we took to make our first live video be successful:

1. Pull the items we want to sell. We had to pull all of the new arrivals that we wanted to sell and decide what order we wanted to present them in. We also had to figure out detailed descriptions for each item. This step was probably my favorite because I had to pull items and design outfits for our models to wear during the live video. 

2. Decide how viewers can order items. I know this step seems simple, but I can assure you it is not. There are many different ways that boutiques and small retailers use for purchases from live videos. The most popular way is to have the viewer comment the item number they want with their email address minus the ending (example: I would comment k-cottle instead of k-cottle@onu.edu). The businesses that do it this way use a software that automatically sends an invoice to the viewer. Since this was our first live video where we were selling items, we opted to do it differently by having the viewer comment the item number and their size. We would then contact them via Facebook Messenger and send them an invoice that needed to be paid over the phone or in-store within two hours.

3. Set up the camera and do a test video. We had to set the camera up so that both of us could be in the shot as well as the model. Once we had the camera set up, we had to do a short test video to make sure everything was running fine. Luckily, everything ran just fine!

4. Go live! The final step was to actually go live. I was nervous and had a few mistakes during the live video. However, our video performed well and we made a few sales from it. 

Since our first live video went fairly well, my boss is asking me to live again this week. However, this time I will be on my own and there will be no models for the clothes. I guess I will have to see how much I improve on this one!

Comments

  1. This is a very interesting way to sell products! I've never seen anyone sell through a live video before, that's very innovative and definitely a cool way to show the audience what you're selling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Different Audiences in Business

Strategy is Everywhere