ONU and Ridding of RMI


As many know, my major is Risk Management and Insurance. For awhile now, I have heard rumors that ONU was going to get rid of RMI as a major. Unfortunately, these rumors were true and I received the email that it will no longer be offered for incoming students. This made me very grateful that I am graduating just in time before it is no longer offered, but it also made me sad that incoming students will not have the opportunities or see what all the Risk Management and Insurance industries have to offer.

As a freshman, I was introduced to the RMI major. It was something that sparked some interest and I thought it was worth looking up. Because of that, I have dedicated my entire career to RMI. When researching it, I found that there is a 100% job placement rate for anyone seeking work in those industries. There are more people retiring from the industries than coming into them. This makes jobs very secure. Another part that is interesting to me is that the insurance industry is always changing. There are constantly new developments in technology that affects the insurance world (like automobiles). This means that these coming few years will be nothing but change and innovation for the insurance world.

Another thing that I realized when actually searching for a job in these industries is that employers go crazy for people with RMI as their actual major. For example, I was offered a bonus just for being an RMI major from one employer. Other employers will take their chances on people who have less experience but have that major if it is for a job in those industries just because that is what they majored in.

There are thousands of opportunities (literally) for those who major in RMI and I think it is just unfortunate that incoming students will not have as much access to those opportunities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different Audiences in Business

Strategy is Everywhere

Going "Live" for the First Time